Wansford and eminent architect A G Street
EMINENT architect A G Street had important links with Wansford.
The village¿s St Mary¿s Church ¿ is one of the many Sykes churches on the Yorkshire Wolds and was commissioned by Sir Tatton Sykes, baronet of Sledmere.
It was built in 1868 and in 1993 churchgoers and supporters enjoyed a week of celebrations when the church commemorated its 125th anniversary.
Sir Tatton used the talents of AG Street to design many of his churches and the buildings in the communities that he owned as part of the Sledmere estate.
A G Street was the architect responsible for the Royal Courts of Justice in the Strang, London.
In Wansford Sir Tatton commissioned him to design not only the church but the former school - now the Finishing Post - and the School House.
Two cottages in the village's main street are also attributed to A G Street and of a typical A G Street design and reminiscent of the Sledmere street scene.
Wansford resident and local historian Sheila Cadman is currently compiling a village history book, which she hopes to have completed by the Diamond Jubilee in June.
Skerne in Domesday Book
SKERNE was mentioned in the Domesday Book as a small village and appears to have changled little since.
It is thought that the village had connections with Meaux Abbey, but in more recent times Skerne was part of Lord Burlington's Londesborough Estate but was sold off at the beginning of the 20th century.
At that time it boasted a blacksmith's shop, bakery, joiner and tailors. The blacksmith's shop can still be seen near the bus stop, the bakery is now Southlands and the tailor's, holly Bank. There is still Londesborough Lodge on the road to Driffield.
The school was built in 1877 and was later used as the village hall. This is now a private residence.
The village's hostelry, the Eagle closed some years ago and planning permission has been obtained by the owner to convert the building into a dwelling house. The property is now up for sale.